Monday 21 November 2016

Student Ancillary Text - Website Analysis


I liked the strong black and white theme in this website and the same font was used continuously for titles which I thought was good. I liked how the main page didn't have too much on it but still had a video and information about an upcoming tour etc. However, I felt like the website had a lot of unnecessary repetition, such as the video being in two different places when it only really needed to be in one. I liked the idea of a photo gallery but I think captions would've been a nice addition. The Sony label in the corner is good as it isn't too in your face but is still there. I liked the store link but I think the tops with a white background looked a bit strange with the page background behind it.

From this website, I've learned that a background doesn't necessarily have to be white to work but if I'm going to have store merchandise with a white background, giving the images a frame or border could be a way to work around it looking unprofessional. I think I'll do the same amount of pages as this website has the right amount to be interesting but not overwhelming. I also really like the idea of having a record label logo on the page.



I really like the link to iTunes to buy the single. However, I think that the music should not play as soon as you enter the website as it could get a bit irritating for fans. It is good that the button to turn it off is very clear and easy to find. I prefer in this website that there is a link to the music video on another page of the website rather than just having the video there twice. I think the theme is quite cutesy and girly which fits the artist well. The layout of all the pages is also very good. There are lots of photos which I think breaks up the text really well and makes the website a lot more interesting and eye catching. However, there are some blank spaces in the background which I think would look better if they were filled with more photos or just a little butterfly like with the main title on the homepage. I think the shop looks really professional and the white background matching the merchandise background makes it all quite visually appealing. The contact page is a good idea but I think it could go well with something as simple as "Got a question? Wondering if Regina will be touring in your area?" above it to make it more clear why a contact form is needed.

I really like the idea of linking to outside websites such as iTunes so I think I'd like to do that. I like the idea of having the song available to listen to but I think I'll have a button or a link, that way the fan gets the option rather than just has it played to them. I'd also label the button to make it clear exactly what it is and what song etc. I really like the idea of having a contact form but with suggestions of questions that could be asked or even a FAQ of stuff that has already been asked and then a contact form with a title like "Got a question not answered here?"


I think having a page just for the sake of someone entering it is pointless and they should just go straight into the homepage. It would make sense if there was the option to sign in to a fan club or something but there isn't. I also think the background is a wasted opportunity because that could've been a photo of the band of the logo or something. However, when you do get to the proper homepage, it is very well laid out and simple without too much irritating blank, unused spaces. Having an email account is a good idea but the placement of it makes it a little hard to read. It would've been better placed on the next page where it is suggested that fans email them. I think the second page is also a bit too informal and has too much writing so fans would lose interest quickly. I think having a music page is a good idea but I think the titles all need capital letters and that it would fit website conventions if the audio clips were just short 30 second clips rather than full length clips because most bands would use this to promote their music and get people to buy the album but why would people buy the album if they can listen to the whole songs on the website for free? I think the events page is pointless because it just has one line on it saying "Events will be added." I don't see why they included it. The band page was okay but had too much writing and grammatical errors. It was interesting in places though.

This website has shown me the importance of getting other people to look over the website to see if there's too much writing. Also, I will make sure not to have grammatical errors in mine. I like the idea of having short audio clips and might use it but I don't think multiple full length clips are the way to go. I like the idea of having an email address and suggesting fans email. I also won't bother with pages that are just there for the sake of it because I think it just makes navigating the website more time consuming for the fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment